Wednesday 8 June 2016

June Update!

 Hi everyone!

Sorry it's been so long since I've written an update- it has been an incredible, packed 4, almost 5 weeks! From France we drove to Germany for the conference, stayed there for 2 weeks, and from Germany I flew to Greece for my commitment to coordinate for our base on Lesvos for the refugee crisis. Don't worry, I will explain everything. :) Let's start with being in a small town in Germany hearing from the founders of Youth with a Mission!


The conference was great! There was about 350 people there from around the world- mostly Europe. And our whole base was all together- outreach teams, DTS teams, and base staff. A truly amazing group of people I get to do life with! The days were very full, packed with 3 sessions of lectures per day. We heard many different topics- mostly on the DNA of Ywam and so many stories that really just blew us all away with God's faithfulness and provision. Darleen Cunningham had said that Loren likes to focus on the big picture, David Hamilton on the biblical knowledge and background, and herself on the practical- how we can all apply this to our own lives. So it was great to have them as a trio- and a handful of other speakers, share their knowledge with us. One of my other favorite speakers was Garth Gustafson, an American who has pioneered Ywam Battambang in Cambodia! I was able to meet him and 3 others from base leadership in Cambodia, speak as much Khmer as I could remember- and I am praying for the opportunity to be able to attend another DNA conference that will be held in Battambang next year!

The 2 weeks there went by fast, and soon I found myself on route to Lesvos, along with 2 other guys from staff in Biarritz. So how did Ywam Biarritz get involved in Lesvos and with the refugee crisis in the first place? And what is my role in this? All good questions, friend.

Mytilini Harbor, Lesvos
In October 2015 our base was having a time of intercession and felt that God was calling them to send a team and to get involved in the refugee crisis! Within 24 hours there was a staff team sent, and they got involved in the North of Lesvos working in a camp there and building relationship with other organizations already on the island. Soon we felt to commit to being on Lesvos for 18 months, working to mobilize Ywam teams from around the world. So as we are halfway through our commitment to the crisis now, there have been several individuals on staff sent from Biarritz who have rotated in as "coordinators." Some of our responsibilities include things like presenting Ywam orientations to individuals, coordinating debriefs, communication and logistics with teams before their arrival, airport pick-ups, organizing accommodation, communication with Euro Relief and making sure volunteers have what they need to get into the camp. It's a busy, exciting, never-a-dull-moment kind of job. We attend weekly leaders meetings where organizations on the island meet together and pray and discuss what has been happening in the week. As Ywam we are under Euro Relief and our role is to provide volunteers for them- as an organization they have done some amazing things here and run several refugee camps.

So that is very briefly what Alice and I have got ourselves into. :) Erik and Gerard (the other 2 staff leaders from our base) came with me from Germany to assist in the transition, (as Alice ended up coming about a week later and I was coordinating by myself), to see how things have been going, and to connect back with the base. They've now moved on to Athens and Thessaloniki to scout out further opportunities there and report back to Biarritz.

This is Alice! She is 28 from Australia and did the DTS right after mine back in Biarritz! We did some hospitality on the base together in the first month that I came back on volunteer staff. She came back on staff in January and is working in our music ministry. Love working with her! 

Another aspect of this ministry here is the Next Wave- a Ywam ship that is currently being used as housing for coordinators and volunteers. So yes, I am currently living on a boat off a Greek island. Didn't see that one coming! :) Here are some photos! I believe it can house around 40 people- I think we have around 30 including crew currently on.



The main living space in the boat

The weekly schedule for shifts for people staying on the boat!

The 'Graveyard'- wrecked boats, rafts, and life jackets left on the island.

Molyvos, Lesvos. About an hour drive from Mytilini, where we are staying.

Back in Mytilini on the harbor- our boat is on the opposite side of this shot.

Alice and I have yet to get into the camps on a regular shift as we have been busy coordinating other things for the volunteers, but we are hoping to get a shift in this week. 

Some prayer requests at the moment:
-wisdom and grace for Alice and I in this leadership role
-peace in the refugee camps on the island. There have been several riots lately and volunteers have been evacuated. But there have been more than 30 refugees that have given their lives to the Lord since Euro relief has started the camp- God is definitely moving!
-preparation as we could see a lot more boats coming over again towards the end of June- and the new coordinators from Biarritz will be coming around then.

As for me, I will be coordinating for a little over 3 more weeks here. I will then be back in France for almost all of July, being a part of their summer outreach ministry in Biarritz, and also taking a week off to see my parents that will be coming to France mid-July! We'll spend a few days in Paris and a few days in Biarritz! Then I will be flying back to Canada and I'm looking forward to being there around 2 months, enjoying family, friends, and raising support to continue this amazing adventure that God is leading me on.

I hope this gives you more of an idea what I'm up to here! Thanks always for praying and for supporting me!
Steph









No comments:

Post a Comment