Monday 27 June 2016

Lesvos update!

Hello again!

It's been almost 5 weeks being here on Lesvos! Where has the time gone?! I am so grateful for this time here as it comes to an end.

The majority of my time has been spent coordinating volunteers- but I had a chance to go into the refugee camp we have been sending our volunteers in last week! I met some Afghanis, Pakistanis, Iranians Africans, and Syrians- (I had some volunteers who could speak Arabic with me, thankfully!) and I was overwhelmed by their different stories and current situations. My shift "duty" was to be in one of the family compounds. The camp has various .. I would call them metal containers, but different housing for the refugees, but the camp is filling up and more refugees have been coming in than leaving, and there are camping tents set up everywhere. And it is hot. It was 38 degrees during my 8 hour shift- and of course I was able to go home afterwards, take a cool shower, resume my normal life. So it was incredibly difficult seeing the situation these dear people are in and how many of them are stuck there- waiting to get processed and released- which for some is taking months.

In this particular camp, there are over 20 different nationalities all seeking asylum- the total right now is 2,700 people. Being in such close quarters and many of them having experienced high levels of loss and trauma, causes many many conflicts- and there have been numerous riots, fires, and unrest. It is a difficult place to be. I felt the heaviness and the hopelessness along with them as they talked and smoked cigarette after cigarette. One woman with 2 young kids- seemed happy- as I found out through translation, her husband is in Norway and his second wife (who was there with her- and who also had a new baby) will be going to him in Norway as he can only bring one of them. She will now have to figure out a way to raise her kids alone as she tries to get an appointment in Athens. Another family has a missing 10 year old son that they have lost all contact with. One Syrian man had been tortured by IS for 7 months- and had recently gotten an appointment in Athens- but in December. The camp has a section of unaccompanied minors- kids under 18- that are here with no parents and many have come on their own. Very difficult circumstances- and everyone has their own story. There isn't much for the refugees to do on a daily basis- but wait in food lines and try to keep cool under the shade they've made from blankets and tarp. Currently some volunteers are working on getting English classes up and running Monday to Friday, and there are art therapy classes for women that have started this week. The camp definitely needs more long term staff who can run things like TESL and counselling. It's been difficult to keep things like that going. Our volunteers work in the info tent, the clothing tent, and work hard to keep the peace around camp, hand out food, and figure out where new arrivals will stay- which has proven to be most challenging.

Overall it was very hard for me to see all this- and all the negativity and lack of humanity that has gone on in the media and countries closing all doors to these people. Pray for this place! Pray for better systems for these people to get visas faster. Pray for Jesus to make himself known and to make something beautiful out of such a terrible situation. Pray that in their restlessness and hurt that Jesus will meet them.

I have about 4 more days here until I get back to Biarritz! The time has gone by fast but I also feel like I have learned a lot and God has grown me in so many ways. Alice and I had a debrief with a lovely lady from Ywam Harpenden earlier this week and it was great to process the past few weeks. I feel blessed to have been challenged and stretched in this context and having been able to serve to the best of my ability here. But I am really looking forward to a month of summer in France and seeing my parents mid-July as well!

As you know I have also been raising my own funds for the past 5 months of various missions-work/volunteering with Ywam. When I go home I am going to set up a support system specifically for YWAMers from Canada- that makes it really easy to give monthly donations and to get tax receipts- but for now I am just living off the generosity of those who have supported me through PayPal. I am still in need of about 150-200 euros to pay off this trip to Greece, and then 400 euros to get me through my final month in France before coming home to Canada. I love seeing the Lord provide and take care of me- as he has in the past. If you feel like you could support me financially- I would encourage you to ask the Lord. I know so many of you have given, and so many of you have given so much of your time lifting me up in prayer. I thank each one of you- it means so much to me.

Please email me (stephaniebweiss@gmail.com) if you have been encouraged or have any questions about my coordinating work here on Lesvos- and if you would like to give financially you can also email me- or click the PayPal giving option on this blog.

Be blessed, friends!
Stephanie

(My wifi connection is not strong enough to load photos into here- so when I can I will post some pictures of the last few weeks!)

A verse God has specifically given me over my time here:
James 4:10 "Humble yourselves before the Lord and he will lift you up in honor."

No comments:

Post a Comment